The versatile dermal filler, Restylane®, can improve volume in the lips as well as correct nasolabial folds and other wrinkles. You can trust Orlando Plastic Surgery Associates with your next Restylane® treatment, as we have years of experience administering treatment to our patients in and around the Orlando and Lake Mary area.
Restylane® is an FDA-approved dermal filler made of a biodegradable, non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in all living organisms and provides volume and fullness to the skin.
Restylane® is formulated as a clear gel and uses a dual mechanism of action to help correct moderate to severe wrinkles and folds. Upon being injected beneath the skin’s surface, Restylane® gel integrates into dermal tissue, and then attracts and binds to water molecules to help maintain volume. Restylane® is gradually degraded by the body’s own mechanism and disappears without any residue.
Results can be seen immediately following Restylane® treatment and last for up to six months. Some patients may achieve results that last longer than six months, depending upon the injection site.
Restylane® does not require any allergy or skin test prior to injection. Restylane® is also marketed and sold in more than 65 countries outside the United States where it has been used in more than 10 million procedures.
Where Else Can Restylane® Be Injected?
- Restylane® is intended for the face and lips only.
- Safety in anatomic regions other than nasolabial folds or lips has not been established.
- Restylane® must not be implanted into blood vessels.
How Much Restylane® Can Be Injected in a Single Treatment?
Based on U.S. clinical studies, patients should be limited to 6 mL per patient per treatment in wrinkles and folds, such as the nasolabial folds, and up to 1.5 mL per lip treatment. The safety of injecting greater amounts has not been established.
Who Cannot Have Restylane® Injections?
- Patients with severe allergies, including allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins.
- Patients with bleeding disorders.
- It is recommended that Restylane® should not be used at sites in which an active inflammatory process (skin eruptions such as cysts, pimples, rashes, or hives) or infection is present
- Safety of Restylane® in pregnancy, breastfeeding, or patients under 18 years is not established. Safety and efficacy for lip augmentation in patients under 21 years is not established.
- Formations of keloids may occur after dermal filler injections, but keloids were not observed in Restylane® clinical trials in 430 patients.
- Restylane® injection may cause hyperpigmentation of the skin at the injection site. In African-American subjects, the incidence of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation was nine percent, and in 50 percent the events lasted up to six weeks after initial implantation. Swelling may occur more frequently in subjects of color receiving lip augmentation.
- Restylane® should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy.
Does Restylane® Have Any Side Effects?
Adverse effects when injected in the face may include:
- Injection site scabbing
When injected into the lips, side effects may include:
- Skin Exfoliation
If you’re considering a Restylane® treatment, contact us today to schedule a consultation. Orlando Plastic Surgery Associates proudly serves men and women in Orlando, Lake Mary, and throughout Orange County and the surrounding communities.